Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Two Sides Of The Same Lake

Matt and I both loved Lake Malawi for it's massive waves and fishing villages. But, the stories we took away with us were from very different experiences. So, we thought we'd write two sides of the same fresh water lake.

Lake Malawi

MATT'S PERSPECTIVE:

I noticed the yellow Hobie Catamaran immediately after setting up our tent and walking to the beach.  To my surprise, the campsite manager said no supervision was required and that it was only $20 USD for the entire afternoon.  Chris and I took the boat out just before 1pm and didn't return it until 7pm that evening.  It was the best day of sailing I think we've ever had. The wind grew incredibly strong by late afternoon and very large waves were crashing down 20 ft off shore.  We road the break, passing by fishing villages, at what felt like 50mph, and when we looked up, we saw local kids running along the side of the shore with their hands waving in the air.  Our attempts to wave back only lasted a few seconds, for fear of capsizing the boat in a place where righting it would be nearly impossible.  In our brief moments of control, we would smile and laugh at how surreal it all was.  It was unforgettable and amazing in so many ways.

CHRIS' PERSPECTIVE:

My memory lies at the end of that day, when we went to sit on the beach to watch the sunset. The wind was continuing to kick up and the waves were still pounding the shore, so we both decided to dive head first into the luke warm break. I felt like I was back at home in the Atlantic, trying to body surf the next set. But then I realized, I didn't taste salt on my lips everytime I emerged from the water. I was in a lake, a massive lake, where no Great White can touch you, watching the light of the sun reflecting pinks and oranges on the water surrounding me. As each wave crashed against my body, I had such a complete sense of utter contentment and just enjoyed the moment for what it was - no cameras, no lifeguard - just a simple, no frills memory of me, Matt and the Lake. 

LOGISTICAL STUFF:

We stayed at a campsite called, 'Kande Beach.' Although it was a great place to rent a catamaran, it was not somewhere you'd want to sleep. It's more of a party hub for Western tourists, so if you're looking for tranquility this is not the place.

CLICK FOR MORE PICS: Chitimba | Kande Beach

1 comment:

  1. So many unforgettable, contentment moments you two have had and will have as your adventure continues. xoxo mom

    ReplyDelete