Saturday, January 5, 2013

Rafting 101

White water rafting down the Zambezi River in Zambia was one of the main things we wanted to do on our overland tour through Africa. During our introductory meeting, we were told the rapids would be rated 4s and 5s, due to the low water levels (i.e. the rapids are much quicker this time of year), but to be completely honest, they felt more like 7s and 8s. To better prepare you for your next white water rafting experience, here are a few tips we've compiled with help from our rafting guide, Tembo.

1) Always continue paddling through the rapid, unless told to stop by your guide.

DO
DON'T

2) Don't grab on to people if you think you're going to fall out. Do grab the raft.


DO
DON'T

3) Don't let go of the rafting ropes while you are riding out the rapid. Do stay in a squatted position.

DO
DON'T

 4) In the off chance that you do fall out, don't panic. Hold on to the raft to keep your head out of the water throughout the duration of the rapid.

DO 

DON'T

CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICS

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! These rapids to me are for sure 7s 8s because the white water rafting we did in BC were 4s 5s. Telling by the photos that was definitely a wild ride, but I'm sure you guys were loving every moment of it. I know your dad Christine would have love to have been with you and Matt on that ride. Kudos to you both! xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys, Pops and I say - We thank God we weren't on that raft. I would have been terrified! Glad you are off the raft!!! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, I was holding my breath. I can't swim, glad you're safe. My gosh, take care

    ReplyDelete