Thursday, January 3, 2013

Living On The Edge

I have to admit we were a little sad when we arrived at one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the world and realized it was at its weakest flow of the year.  Don't get me wrong, it was incredible and there was still a large amount of water falling into the Zambezi River, but it wasn't what is seen in the rainy season, or in those picturesque postcards.  Chris took some shots of the gorge and we thought, "Wow, this must be a site to see in rainy season."

Victoria Falls (Looking at Zambia side)
Zimbabwe on the left / Zambia on the right

However, two days later, our opinion on low season did a 180.  It was right after we went out to see the "Devil's Pool."

Brave guides take tons of tourists, like ourselves, in low season out to the pool which sits at the very edge of the falls. You have to cross the river to get to it. I remember swimming through, after our guide, and feeling the current pull my body ever so slightly downstream toward the drop zone.  I kept thinking about the force of the river at it's max. We swam over to the pool's edge to have a look at the drop off.  I watched the falling waters, just a few feet away, as it rolled off the edge and plummeted down into the massive gorge.


Devil's Pool

It wasn't as scary so much as it was impressive. I left feeling humbled and appreciative of the natural wonder that is Victoria Falls.


CLICK HERE FORE MORE PICS

2 comments:

  1. That is so amazing! Mark and I were just talking about going there -- but alas, I am deathly afraid of drowning and Mark is deathly afraid of heights. It seems that Victoria Falls just may be our mortal enemy.

    ReplyDelete